Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Missing You

I can't begin to imagine all the emotions of deployment and what it is like-what families and soldiers must go through each and every time that happens. Thank you to the families that are brave enough to send off their loved one and thank you to the soldiers that are brave enough to fight for our country and freedom. I appreciate you.


These buttons at How Beadyful's Etsy Store inspired me to pull out a salvaged vintage children's books and create a Miss You card for the Etsy Inspired Challenge. I felt that the image of the home front as well as the yellow would serve as a reminder of what is waiting for soldiers at home as well as an appreciation for what they do.

ETA: In my haste to post this morning, I realized I misspelled a few words and forgot to mention that I thought placing a SRM Sticker inside a metal tag was genius! From the genius mind of Kim Kesti, who was featured on the SRM blog last week.

Supplies Used: Cardstock: White (Georgia Pacific) Sticker Sentiment: (SRM Stickers) Metal Tag (Stampin Up), Metal Brad (Colorbok) Other: Vintage Book Page, Baker's Twine Tools: Scallop Border Punch (Fiskars)

***The voting is still open for the 2010 PaperCraft's Gallery Idol Challenge! Have you voted for your favorite yet? Here's my entry for the Creativity Heals theme, made for women-of all ages- battling cancer.***

23 comments:

  1. Love the childrens book page! So cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the coloring...fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is perfect.. such a beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly thought you drew this before I read the post (my graphic designer friend!). It's fantastic! The yellow, the 'homefront', the overall design. You are such an inspiration- always SO FRESH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card! The black and white with the pop of color is amazing!

    Good luck in the Idol Voting too! Your card is beautiful!

    Thanks so much for playing EtsyInspired this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking that your coloring was amazing and then I read the fine print, way to go on reusing a page from a book. I thought I was clever for recycling other cards and paper related items, but never thought of a book... perhaps b/c my children never part with them! Nice card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful idea this book page!
    Thank you for the nice compliments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous, Karen! Love the use of the vintage book page and the sweet and simple sentiment. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome project and perfect sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy vintage fabulousness and nostalgia! This card is touching on far too many levels to count! Either way, you are A ROCK STAR in my book! This is exquisite card craft!

    (I'm sure the cows are completely happy in WI, too! hee hee}

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this vintage inspired card too. Great way to use the color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful card! love that you used a children's book image for it! love how you placed the sentiment, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Great cards! I collect children's books for images too! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooohhh....I love this....genius about the SRM sticker...I was just going to g-sale all my metal rimmed tags...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this card! The yellow - - - very symbolic! The image is terrific . . . .

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it too Karen!
    How very clever of you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. what an awesome card!! i know a soldier would love to receive it from a loved one at home. i'm totally slacking - i've only sent my husband one card since he left in february - but we email every day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this card! The colors are amazing and placing the SRM Sticker inside the metal tag is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how simple and graphic this is Karen! And I love the sticker/metal tag idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful card love the simplicity!! So pretty :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this card, Karen! It reminds me that I have a few old children's books that I saved from the school's Goodwill piles over the past few years. I think I need to take another look at them. (Love those buttons from the etsy shop, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful! I am always amazed at how you capture so much emotion in such a simple and meaningful way. Even your inspiration piece ties into the feeling you get looking at this card. Thank you for posting these cards, I so enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete